Friday, September 21, 2012

FMB Tour~ The Devouring - Kavachi's Rise by Mike Kearby





The Devouring~Kavachi’s Rise
ISBN eBook: 9781615727629
ISBN Print: 9781615727636

A Dark Secret. Thomas Morehart and his sister, Kara are vampyre, not the undead, but creatures evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to mimic their prey, man. Then - rescued from a Nazi Prison Camp, Thomas and Kara are brought to the U.S. and forced to work inside government-owned mortuaries. Now -betrayed by the government sixty-seven years later, Thomas and Kara are in a race against time to transform back to their feral states or risk Exsanguination by government sanctioned hit squads.




From Wikipedia: Mike Kearby (born 1952) is an American novelist and inventor. Since 2005, Kearby has published ten novels, one graphic novel, and written two screenplays: (2011) Boston Nightly, with fellow writer Paul Bright and (2012) The Devouring. Boston Nightly is scheduled for filming in the spring of 2013.

Kearby was born in Mineral Wells, Texas, and received a B.S. from North Texas State University (now the University of North Texas) in 1972. He taught high school English and reading for 10 years and created ""The Collaborative Novella Project"" The project allows future authors to go through the novel writing process from idea to published work. 


Interview
How long have you been writing?
I started writing in 2005. My first novel was published in 2008.

What jobs did you have before you became a writer?
I started out my work life as a high school reading teacher.  After ten years, I joined corporate America where I worked for another twenty years, before heading to the country where I took up ranching and writing.

Tell us a little about your book.
The Devouring is based on my premise that vampire are not the undead, but an animal species evolved over millions of years to harvest a specific amino acid chain in human blood. I make the distinction by calling my characters vampyre in the book. After WWII, vampyre are domesticated by the U.S. government. The domestication is achieved by allowing the vampyre to run government owned mortuaries where they have an unlimited supply of blood. That’s the storyline. The plot, of course, is much more involved.

What is one book you could read over and over?
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee.

What do you do in your free time?
I enjoy cooking with my wife, reading, and visiting grandchildren.

How do reviews, good or bad, affect you?
Let me answer in a roundabout way. I submitted my first novel to Dorchester Publishing in 2006. It was rejected by the western genre editor. In 2007, a new editor took over the genre. She called and asked to buy my novel, plus the novel I had just finished. To get back to your question, you learn not to take anything personal in the writing business. What one editor hates, another may love. The same goes for reviewers.

When writing, do you plot and organize, or do you write scenes then fit it all together?
I actually use an unorthodox method. Once the storyline idea arrives, I may spend weeks writing the book in my head: never putting a word on paper. After I have the basic story goal set-up; I write a chapter or scene in my head each night before I go to sleep. When morning comes, I get up and put the previous evening’s chapter into my Word doc. Like I said, unorthodox, but it works for me.

What is one thing you absolutely cannot do without while writing?
Music: specifically, a movie soundtrack that fits the book. For The Devouring, I listened to Kilar’s soundtrack for Bram Stocker’s Dracula.

If you could visit any place, where would it be?
I would love to explore the mind of Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Do you have any hidden talents?
I can pick up objects with my toes.

Favorite food?
Sushi

Cat or dog?
I love dogs, however, currently I don’t have a dog, but do have 5 cats???

Favorite color?
Blue.

Beach or mountains?
Mountains.

Coffee or tea?
Coffee.

Thanks for inviting me into your blog.

I really appreciate you taking time from your schedule to answer these questions.  

Follow this tour!
Tour Schedule:
Sept. 15th- A Bit of Dash (Review)

Sept. 16th- My Seryniti (Interview)
Sept. 17th- Books and Beauty (Guest Post)
Sept. 18th- Mallory Heart Reviews (Excerpt)
Sept. 19th- Howling Books and Design (Excerpt)
Sept. 20th- I am, Indeed (Interview)
Sept. 21st- Chaotic Book Corner (Review)
Sept. 22nd- RedHeaded BookWorm (Interview)
Sept. 23rd- Full Moon Bites (Interview)
Sept. 24th- Amy's Book World (Review)
Sept. 25th- Words I Write Crazy (Review)
Sept. 26th- Blood, Lust and Erotica (Interview/Excerpt)
Sept. 27th- Laurie's Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews (Author Interview)
Sept. 28th- FireStarBooks (Review)
Sept. 29th- Writing to be Read (Review)
Sept. 30th- All Things Books (Review)
Oct. 1st- Lizzy's Dark Fiction (Review)
Oct. 2nd- Nazish Reads (Excerpt)
Oct. 3rd- Seventh Star Press (Review)
Oct. 4th- TBA
Oct. 5th- TBA
Oct. 6th- Bookluvrs Haven (Excerpt)
Oct. 7th- TBA
Oct. 8th- Simply Infatuated (Excerpt)
Oct. 9th- TBA
Oct. 10th- White Sky Project (Review)
Oct. 11th- Day Dreaming Book Reviews (Excerpt)
Oct. 12th- A Dream Within A Dream (Excerpt)
Oct. 13th- TBA
Oct. 14th- TBA
Oct. 15th- Close Encounters with the Night Kind (Review/Excerpt)
Oct. 16th- Tricia Kristufek (Guest Post)
Oct. 17th- Book Review Club (Review/Guest Post)
Oct. 18thTBA
Oct. 19th- My Seryniti (Excerpt)
Oct. 20th- I am, Indeed (Review)
Oct. 21st- RedHeaded BookWorm (Excerpt)
Oct. 22nd- The Bunny's Review (Review/Interview)
Oct. 23rd- Kristy Centeno (Excerpt)
Oct. 24th- The Avid Reader (Review)
Oct. 25th- Black Hippie Chick's Take on Books & The World (Review/Interview)
Oct. 27th- The Book Connoisseur (Excerpt)
Oct. 28th- TBA
Oct. 29th- For The Love Of Film And Novels (Excerpt)
Oct. 30th- Juniper Grove (Interview)
Nov. 1st- Erotic Romance With a Bite...Leigh Savage (Interview/Excerpt)
Nov. 2nd- Mallory Heart Reviews (Review)
Nov. 3rd- TBA
Nov. 4th- TBA
Nov. 5th- TBA
Nov. 6th- Beach Bum Reads (Review)
Nov. 7th- Bookishly Me (Guest Post)
Nov. 8th- Off the Page (Interview)
Nov. 9th- Keeping Up With The Rheinlander's (Review/Interview) 
Nov. 10th- Book Lover's Hideaway (Review)
Nov. 11th- TBA
Nov. 12th- My Seryniti (Review)
Nov. 13th- 1889 Labs (Interview)
Nov. 14th- whoopeeyoo :D (Guest Post)
Nov. 15th- Waiting on Sunday to Drown (Review)




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Give me your opinion, wow me, or just say hi!