Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Interview ~ Michael Cargill author of Shades of Grey


You may remember a few days ago, I posted the email that Michael Cargill sent me requesting a review for his book. The subject of the email was "begging for interview/review/food."  I just couldn't pass up a request like that, could I? So, since I couldn't send food to the UK, I decided the least I could do was grant him his wish for an interview. My review for Shades of Grey will be posted in the near future! 

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this interview
Do you have any hidden talents?
No.  Well, maybe.  I sort of fix computers and stuff quite easily.  I also have a special knack for not winning anything on the lottery.

Cat or dog?
Dogs are more fun but there is no way I could deal with the hassle of looking after one.  Aunt Mavis would come round and be subject to constant dog-leg sex and I would be ostracized forever.  Give me the moggy please.

How long have you been writing?
In terms of writing fiction, only since around September 2011.  Before that I didn’t really have much interest in it and in school I had no desire for it at all.  I actually had a brief stint as a computer game reviewer about nine years ago.  At the time I thought it would be brilliant but it was actually a complete load of old arse.

If you could visit any place, where would it be?
Comedy answer: The Playboy Mansion.  Real answer: The factory where they make the plastic balls for ball pools.  Proper, real answer: That island in the film The Beach.  The entire area looks fantastic.

Favorite food?
Curry.  Seriously, I love curry.  It tends to look vile and often makes me sweat but by jove is it an enchanting little dish of loveliness.

What jobs did you have before you became a writer?
My ‘real’ job is doing IT support for a large engineering firm.  I realised I was pretty good with computers back in school and it has been a passion of sorts ever since.  Of course, this means that everyone always rings me when their PC isn’t working...

What is one book you could read over and over?
Possibly The Stand by Stephen King.  There are so many characters in it and the story is very well told.  Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is also an excellent graphic novel that I have gone through a few times.

What do you do in your free time?
Nothing particularly outlandish I am afraid to say.  Watch a bit of telly perhaps, pop down the gym, think of something silly to write on my blog perhaps.

How do reviews, good or bad, affect you?
Other than for my very first book, which was just a collection of fairly obscure humorous article things, I haven’t really had any bad reviews.  Actually, on Barnes and Noble that particular book has acquired some very bizarre one-star reviews from people who specifically state that they haven’t read it.  I decided to laugh at them rather than get annoyed.

Getting good reviews can be inspiring and even a bit of an ego boost.

When writing, do you plot and organize, or do you write then fit it all together?
Plotting?  Organising?  What silly sorcery is this that you speak of?  I pretty much just get a seed of an idea for a story and then proceed to screw the character’s lives up as much as possible.  I will get various ideas pop into my head as I go and just write as I go.

What is one thing you absolutely cannot do without while writing?
I need some sort of noise, usually music or something.  If you locked me in a sound proof room I would go insane.

Tell us why we should read your book.
‘Cos it’s brill.  Um, it’s a collection of three stories that throw the central characters into situations completely out of their control.  There is humour, action, thrills and drills.

What are you currently working on?
My first novel!  Yes!  In fact it is almost finished.  I will then have the dreaded editing and proof-reading to do.  Plus the cover.  Then the synopsis.  Then begging people to review it.
Bleurgh.

Anything you would like to add?
Don’t run with scissors and remember that you are never too old for a smacked bottom.


I really appreciate you taking time from your schedule to answer these questions. 

You can find Michael here:


Other books from Michael
 Available to buy on Amazon or download on ISOHunt, Demonoid and Pirate Bay
Diary of a Dork - Articles of Sarcasm and Irreverence
Shelter from Thunder
Slaughter on Barnaby Close
Shades of Grey





Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. And there I am! Thank you very much for interrogating me here, it was jolly good fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I loved reading your answers. 'Cos it's brill....LOVED that one!

      Delete

I love your comments! Give me your opinion, wow me, or just say hi!